One of my favorite sandwiches is a
(a fancy ham and cheese sandwich). Recently I have been craving a croque monsieur sandwich and I remembered seeing Tyler make a grilled cheese sandwich with apple slices on Tylers Ultimate. I had been enjoying the local pears which are in season and I though that crouque monsieur sandwich with smoked turkey and pear would make a tasty sandwich. The sandwich was pretty good though the pear flavour was a little subtle. The next time I make this I might double up on the layers of pear or even caramelize the pear slices in some butter and sugar first.
Croque Monsieur with Pear and Smoked Turkey
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
- 1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
- 1/4 cup Bechamel Sauce
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 slices smoked turkey
- 3 slices pear
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt half of the Gruyère and all of the parmigiano-reggiano into the Bechamel sauce.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the mustard on one slice of bread.
- Place the turkey slices, the pear slices and about half of the remaining Gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slice.
- Spoon the Bechamel sauce onto the top of the sandwich.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère cheese.
- Place on a broiling pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 5 minutes. (Until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned.)