Another classic dish at Chinese restaurants is egg drop soup! This is a super simple soup where a egg is poured into simmering chicken broth in a thin stream the cooks into smooth ribbons that gives the soup an amazing creamy texture. I like to use a homemade chicken broth for this to maximize flavour but store bought will also do! The chicken broth is jazzed up by simmering it with green onions, ginger and white peppercorns along with a dried shiitake mushrooms and a few slices of bacon. The green onions, ginger and white peppercorns give the chicken broth a nice Asian flare and the dried shiitake mushrooms and bacon add layers of umami flavour and a hint of smokiness and meatiness! Once the broth is ready cornstarch is added to thicken a bit before the eggs slowly are added in a thin stream that allows them to cook into thin ribbons in the soup. The egg drop soup is finished off with toasted sesame oil, for its magical aroma, along with a garnish of green onions and optional sliced shiitake mushrooms. The perfect way to start off your Lunar New Year celebrations!
Egg Drop Soup
A super quick and easy Chinese style egg drop soup!
- 4 cups chicken broth or pork bone broth
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 inch knob ginger, sliced
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 slices bacon or ham (optional)
- 1 dried shiitake mushroom (optional)
- salt to taste (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch mixed into 2 tablespoon water
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Bring the broth, the whites of the green onions, ginger, peppercorns, bacon, and mushroom to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, before straining out the solids and seasoning with salt to taste.
- Mix the cornstarch and water mixture into the simmering broth until it thickens, about a minute.
- Swirl the broth in the pot and while it is still swirling, pour a thin stream of the eggs into the broth until it has all been added.
- Remove from heat, add the sesame oil, the greens of the green onions, and the mushrooms and enjoy!
Tip: Do step one the day before to save time when serving it.
Quick and Easy Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Shrimp Wonton Soup
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Avgolemono Soup (aka Greek Lemon Chicken Soup)
Dandan Noodles (Tantanmen Ramen)
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup