Are you looking for a snack for game day or an appetizer for a New Year’s Eve party or just something for a get-together? These tasty ham and cheese rolls with caramelized pineapple and onions are perfect; nice and quick and easy and oh so good! I came across the idea for hot ham and cheese party rolls a while ago and the holidays was a great time to pull out the recipe. They are super easy to make, you just roll out a dough, lay down some slices of ham and cheese along with caramelized onions and pineapple, roll them up, pour on a tasty sauce and bake them until they are fabulously golden brown and flaky and good! The original recipe calls for a pizza dough but I went with a crescent dough and I added the caramelized onions and pineapple to add a touch of sweetness and tanginess that compliments the ham and cheese combo really well. These ham and cheese rolls with caramelized pineapple and onions are the perfect finger food for any party!
Ham and Cheese Rolls with Caramelized Pineapple and Onions
Rolls filled with ham, melted swiss cheese, and caramelized pineapple and onions in a tasty sweet and spicy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onions, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 packages of crescent roll dough
- 4 ounces of ham, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces of swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
For the caramelized pineapple and onions:
For the sauce:
For the rolls:
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and saut√© until light caramelized, about 10 minutes, before adding the pineapple and saut√©ing for another 5 minutes and setting aside.
- Heat everything in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has meted and everything is mixed well.
- Unroll the dough in a single rectangle, top with the slices of ham and swiss, sprinkle on the onions and pineapple, roll the dough up, slice it into 12 and place them in a large greased baking pan.
- Pour the sauce over the rolls and sprinkle on the poppy seeds.
- Bake in a 350F/180C oven until the dough is a lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.