It is probably time for a little break from kimchi. 🙂 Speaking of fermented cabbage, my second favorite form of fermented cabbage is sauerkraut though I never seem to know what to do with it. Sauerkraut is of course great in reuben sandwiches and it goes really well in my favorite pirogies but it always comes in such huge jars and I often seem to be stumped with how to finish the rest of the jar. Needless to say, I am always looking for new ways to enjoy sauerkraut and I recently came across a tasty looking ground beef and sauerkraut soup on It’s All Gouda . After seeing that it included sauerkraut the next thing that I noticed was that it included all of the main ingredients of stuffed cabbage rolls where the sauerkraut took the place of the cabbage and then there was the ground beef, the rice and tomatoes. I really liked the sound of a tangy cabbage roll soup with sauerkraut and it quickly made it to my meal plan.
I pretty much left the recipe as it was but I did seriously consider adding even more flavour with some salty bacon but in the interest of keeping the meal more on the healthy side I opted to skip it. The main change that I made was switching the seasoning over to a paprika based seasoning which seemed to go better with my vision of a stuffed cabbage roll soup. My final change, once again thinking about eating healthier, was to use brown rice rather than white rice. This soup is pretty easy to make with only about 15-20 minutes of work followed by some simmering time to cook the rice and let he flavours mingle. The sauerkraut cabbage roll soup had an amazing aroma while cooking and it finished with a gorgeously vibrant shade red. Adding the juice along with the sauerkraut gave the soup a great tang that in my opinion really made this soup shine. It was just like eating stuffed cabbage rolls in soup form! The next time I make cabbage rolls I think that I am going to have to try adding sauerkraut to the filling.
Sauerkraut Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup long grained rice (I used brown)
- 3-4 cups beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups sauerkraut (with liquid)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped, optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Brown the ground beef and set aside draining the grease from the pan.
- Heat the oil in the pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the rice and toast for a few minutes.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add the beef, tomatoes, sauerkraut, paprika, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes (50 minutes for brown rice).
- Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
- Serve garnished with sour cream.
Kimchi Jjigae (Pork and Kimchi Stew)
Sauerkraut, Ham and Mushroom Pirogies
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Ham and Mushroom Sauerkraut Soup
Beef Short Rib Borscht
Kielbasa Sauerkraut Soup
Colcannon Soup (aka Irish Potato and Cabbage Soup with Bacon)