This weekend there were local Ontario cherries at the market and a got a lot of them. The first thing that I did with the cherries (other than eating a bowl of them) was make cherry jam. Pitting 6 cups worth of cherries took a long time! But it was worth it. The cherry jam tastes amazing.
I accidentally grabbed the "light" version of the pectin crystals which ended up being alright as it called for a higher ratio of fruit to sugar. The jam did not seem to set and it is a bit runny.
- 6 cups cherries (pitted, halved and crushed)
- 1 box Certo pectin crystals
- 4 & 1/2 cups sugar
- Bring the cherries, 1 cup of sugar and the pectin crystals to a boil with high heat in a large pot.
- Add the rest of the sugar.
- Bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars.