I certainly have been enjoying making a lot of soups lately and my favourite has to be this creamy mushroom chicken and wild rice soup which is a combination of two amazing soups, cream of mushroom soup and chicken and wild rice soup! This soup has the best of both worlds with chicken, wild rice and plenty of veggies from the one soup to the mushrooms and creamy broth from the other soup and the combination is just magical! I like to use a variety of mushrooms from button, to cremini, shiitake, oyster, etc. and I saute them in butter before moving on to the veggies. I season the soup with a generous helping of parmesan cheese which just melts into the broth infusing it with its umami packed flavour! One of the great things about this soup is how easy it is to make and it only takes about 40 minutes making it a good meal even when there isn’t a lot of time. If you are looking for a tasty soup to enjoy this fall or winter this creamy mushroom chicken and wild rice soup is a great way to go!
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
A warm and creamy mushroom, chicken and wild rice soup that is down right one of the best comfort food around!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and onion and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and the liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes, before setting aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, rice, chicken and mushrooms, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Mix in the milk and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Soak 1 ounce of dried mushrooms in 1 cup of just boiled water for 20 minutes before chopping the mushrooms and adding along with the garlic and adding the mushroom water along with the broth for an even more intense mushroom flavour!
Option: add 2 tablespoons white miso paste in step 5 before seasoning with salt and pepper.
Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Garlic and Brie Mushrooms
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Chicken Noodle Soup