White chicken chili is a dish that I find myself making all the time and this is a tasty variation of it using some cajun inspired flavours. This version starts by seasoning the chicken with a cajun spice blend before searing it, along with some andouille sausage. The veggies are cajun inspired with onions, celery, and bell peppers in addition to the chili staple jalapeno! The broth includes chicken broth along with salsa verde and the creaminess comes from sour cream and parmesan cheese. The chili is filled out with plenty of beans and it’s all finished off with a splash of lime juice, cilantro and sliced onions! This cajun take on white chicken chili is a tasty alternative to the original!
Drizzle on some hot sauce!
Cajun White Chicken Chili
A creamy white chicken chili with a cajun flavour theme!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced or diced
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or crema or heavy cream or 4 ounces cream cheese)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) (or cotija), grated
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (or parsley), chopped (optional)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the sausage and cook, about 5-7 minutes, before setting aside.
- Add the chicken, seasoned with cajun seasoning, and cook until lightly golden brown, about 5-7 minutes, before setting aside.
- Add the butter and let it melt before adding the onion, celery, bell pepper and jalapeno, and cooking until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, cand cajun seasoning, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, beans, salsa verde, sausage and chicken, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the chicken and shred or slice it before returning to the pot.
- Add the sour cream and parmesan and let it melt.
- Add the lime juice, cilantro, and green onion before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Add 1 (4 ounce) can of diced green chilies instead of the salsa verde.
Option: Add 1 cup corn at the end.
Option: Garnish with your favourite chili toppings such as shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, onions, jalapenos, etc.
Option: Drizzle hot sauce on before serving!
White Chicken Chili
Pumpkin and White Bean Chicken Chili
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Pumpkin and White Bean Turkey Chili with Kale and Pepita Salsa
Turkey White Chili
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Squash Chili Mole
Beef and Black Bean Chili
Buffalo Chicken Chili
7 Chili Chili
Creole Split Pea Soup
Cajun Sweet Potato Seafood Chowder
Shrimp Creole Soup with Bacon and Cheddar Dumplings
AZ Gal says
This is delicious. I did use heavy cream in it. Love it, nice and spicy, just the way we like it. Thanks for sharing!
love these ingredients, and all chilis, andouille sausage is new for me in chili but definitely welcome! Another great recipe, thank you!
WOW! This chili blew my mind. My husband and I are watching our macros so we used chicken andouille sausage, chicken breast, and nonfat Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream or cream cheese. Outstanding flavor and super healthy. Will make again.
I have a question about the Cajun seasoning. The ingredients say 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, and a few items down it says 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning. I don’t see Cajun seasoning twice in the directions. Which is correct?
The first 1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning is used to season the chicken before cooking in step 2 (I have updated the recipe to include this) and the 1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning is used in step 4. Enjoy!