This is a super simple, one-pot, soup with pasta and Italian sausage that’s packed with flavour and eats like a meal! The star of the show is Italian sausage which brings a ton of flavour all by itself. This soup is filled out with pasta which is cooked in the soup, making for an easy one-pot meal. Seasonings include onions, garlic, fennel, and Italian herbs, along with some red pepper flakes for even more heat. In addition to all of the flavour that’s already packed in, the broth is a base of chicken broth with tomatoes and it’s made nice and creamy, and oh so good, with cream, cream cheese and plenty of parmesan cheese! There is something that’s just magical about the flavour combo of Italian sausage and tomatoes in a creamy parmesan broth! This soup is the perfect comfort food for cool winter days!
Creamy Parmesan Italian Sausage Soup
A tasty Italian sausage and pasta soup with a creamy parmesan and tomato broth!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces pasta such as ditalini (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 4 ounces cream cheese (warmed)
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook the sausage and onion in a large saucepan until cooked, breaking the sausage apart as it cooks, before draining any excess grease.
- Add the garlic, fennel, and red pepper flakes, mix, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, pasta, and Italian seasoning, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the pasta is cooked, al-dente, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the parmesan, cream cheese, and cream, and let the cheeses melt into the soup, about 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: Add 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed into 2 tablespoons cool water) to the soup near the end and simmer to thicken.
Option: Omit the pasta; also remove 1 cup chicken broth.
Option: Add 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced!
Option: Add 2 tablespoons of sliced basil just before serving!
Option: Garnish with more parmesan!
Creamy Parmesan Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Chicken Parmesan Soup
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Chicken Parmesan Soup
Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
Pasta e Fagioli Soup (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)