With all of the cold and the snow I have been in full on soup mode and my latest soup is this creamy mushroom and spinach soup with cheese tortellini. Mushrooms and spinach are a fabulous combination that I enjoy using in many different dishes so it was inevitable that I eventually used them in a soup like this one and it’s a good thing that I did because this is one of my new favourite soups! This recipe is pretty easy, you simply slice the mushrooms, dice the onions, cook them in a saucepan, add the broth and tortellini, cook until the tortellini is done and add the spinach before seasoning and enjoying a bowl of pure comfort! If you know me then you know that I could not resist adding a bit of extra flavour, aka umami, in the form of using white wine to deglaze the pan, adding parmesan and I even add a tablespoon of white miso paste to the soup. No matter how you cut it, this creamy mushroom and spinach soup with cheese tortellini is one hearty and tasty bowl of soup that is perfect for these cold winter days!
Just look at that hearty spoonful of mushroom-y, spinach-y and cheesy goodness!
Pure comfort food!
Serve with garlic rubbed crostini.
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
A hearty and tasty bowl of creamy mushroom and spinach soup with tortellini that is pure comfort food; perfect for cold winter days!
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup white wine (or broth)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 10 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and onion and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and the liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, thyme and flour and cook, stirring, until the flour starts to turn a light golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the broth and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan, let it melt, add the spinach, let it wilt, add the cream, season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
Option: Cook the mushrooms even longer, until they start to caramelize, for more mushroom-y flavour goodness!
Option: Roast the mushrooms instead of cooking them in the sauce pan for even more mushroom flavour.
Option: You can use frozen spinach instead of fresh if you prefer.
Option: Use a spinach tortellini instead of cheese tortellini.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste by mixing some of the hot broth into the miso in a bowl before mixing it into the soup just after you remove the soup from the heat. (Note: Miso is salty so go easy on seasoning with salt.)
Creamy Parmesan Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Garlic and Brie Mushrooms
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Chicken Tortellini Soup