I am a huge fan of spinach and artichoke dip! I mean what’s not to love? Hot melted cheese, spinach and artichokes! So when I came across the idea of an artichoke dip soup on Oh Sweet Basil I knew that I would have to try making a spinach and artichoke dip soup! I started the soup off with the basics from the spinach and artichoke dip including chopped artichokes, spinach, cream cheese and parmesan (I omitted the mayo) and then I turned it into a soup by adding broth and milk (or cream). At this point I knew that the soup would taste great but I wanted something a little heartier; at first I was going to add chicken and/or white beans like I did in the jalapeno popper soup but then I thought that cheese tortellini would be a great idea. I have to say that this spinach and artichoke dip tortellini soup turned out even better than I imagined! If you are a fan of spinach and artichoke dip you simply must try this soup!
Grab your crackers or crostini and start dipping! I mean your spoon and start slurping… this is a soup not a dip. 🙂
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
All of the flavours of spinach and artichoke dip in a soup with cheese tortellini.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (gluten free for gluten free)
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 8 ounces spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup milk or cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne to taste (optional)
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minute.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, artichokes and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cheeses, let them melt, add the spinach, let it wilt, add the milk, season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste and remove from heat.
Option: Replace the tortellini with cooked, shredded chicken and/or white beans. (If you add white beans, pureed half of them and use them as the thickening agent instead of the flout.)
Option: Add sliced sun-dried tomatoes.
Option: Add bacon!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pasta
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza
Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
Artichoke and Spinach Frittata
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Creamy Parmesan Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Creamy Lemon Grilled Chicken, Asparagus and Artichoke Pasta
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Egg Muffins
Avocado Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Spinach and Artichoke Baked Chicken