I first came across artichokes a little after I started food blogging and I shied away from them as they seemed a little intimidating at the time. Just over a year ago I finally got around to trying them and I have been hooked ever since! Over the winter I was using canned artichokes but I have been seeing fresh ones in the grocery stores the over last few weeks and I have just been itching to use them again. As luck would have it I recently came across this recipe for an artichoke and spinach frittata on Cara’s Cravings that sounded really good. The spinach and artichoke combo reminded me of one of my favourite dips, the hot spinach and artichoke dip , which I can never get enough of. I made a few changes to the recipe including using fresh chopped dill, replacing the cheese with feta and of course using the fresh artichokes.
I started with 2 medium sized artichokes, and I quartered them after picking off the inedible outer petals and peeling their stems. I then removed the fuzzy insides and quickly blanched them before adding them to the frittata. Preparing the fresh artichokes took a bit of work but it was worth it! (Of course you could easily save yourself some time and simply use frozen or canned artichokes.) I ended up with nice large pieces of artichokes that gave the frittata a rustic feel to it and they were definitely tasty! The spinach, feta and dill flavour combo has been one of my favorites for a while now and it worked really well in this frittata and the artichoke took it over the edge making it that much better! Luckily I made enough that I will be enjoying this frittata for breakfasts for the rest of the week.
Artichoke and Spinach Frittata
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach (roughly chopped, or frozen that is thawed and squeezed of excess liquid)
- 2 cups artichoke hearts (quartered)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dill (chopped)
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts.
- Mix the artichokes, eggs, yogurt, salt, pepper, dill, spinach and feta in a bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook until the eggs are almost set, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the pan into a preheated 400F/200C oven and let the eggs finish cooking, about 10-15 minutes.
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Baby Artichoke Heart Quinoa Risotto with Shrimp and Meyer Lemon Pesto
Creamy Pea and Artichoke Pesto Pasta Salad
Agginaropita (Greek Artichoke Pie)
Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Frittata topped with Marinara and Mozzarella
Butternut Squash, Mushroom, Kale and Sausage Frittata
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pasta
Creamy Lemon Grilled Chicken, Asparagus and Artichoke Pasta