Short ribs are an ingredients that I do not use all that often but they are such a treat! Short ribs are a particularly tasty cut of beef that is simply magical when slowly braised until fall apart tender, especially when it’s in a tasty sauce! These braised short ribs are one of my favorite, in a French style sauce. The sauce is pretty much what you would expect with onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms garlic, beef broth red wine, thyme and rosemary and it’s so very tasty! I like to throw a couple full heads of garlic into the pan to roast while the meat braises and when it’s done you can squeeze it out, just like roasted garlic! This French style braised short ribs stew is great as a meal by itself or served over mashed potatoes or horseradish mashed parsnips and celery root!
French Style Braised Short Ribs
French style slow braised short ribs in a tasty sauce! Pure comfort food!
- 2 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 3-4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine (or more broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 heads of garlic, with the tops removed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Brown the beef in a large, oven-safe, sauce pan over medium-high heat, about 3-4 minutes per side, and set aside before draining off all but 2 tablespoons of the grease.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, wine, tomato paste, heads of garlic, balsamic vinegar, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and beef, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer unto the beef is fall apart tender, about 2-3 hours. (Option: Transfer the pot to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until fall apart tender, about 2-3 hours. OR Transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.)
- Remove the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over mashed potatoes, or mashed celery root, mashed parsnips, pasta, etc. with bread to soak up all the tasty sauce. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the heads of garlic and enjoy!
Option: Add bacon!
Option: Add 1/3 cup chopped prunes along with the broth!
Option: If the broth is a little acidic add some honey.
Option: Skim off any excess fat before serving.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
Tagliatelle Short-rib Bolognese
Ossobuco Tagine (Moroccan Style Ossobuco)
Braised Short Rib Ragu
Slow Braised Beef Stroganoff Soup
Jamaican Style Jerk Beef Stew
Beef Massaman Curry
Slow Cooker Mushroom Pot Roast
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Mexican Shredded Beef
Steak and Guinness Stew with Irish White Cheddar Cauliflower Mash
Slow Cooker Balsamic Glazed Roast Beef
Gnocchi Poutine with Short Rib Ragu