I am a big fan of Thai flavours, especially curries, and so it did not take long after seeing this recipe for a slow cooker Thai basil chicken curry on pinterest before I made it. This is a slow cooker recipe so it’s super simple, you pretty much just throw everything into the slow cooker and cook all day before mixing in some fresh herbs at the end. The sauce or gravy is a pretty standard Thai style curry with a base of coconut milk with spicy chilies, sweet coconut sugar, salty fish sauce and sour lime juice which form a magical balance of flavours! The star of the show is a ton of fresh basil which is added at the end just before serving! I like to serve this Thai basil chicken curry over cauliflower rice and it’s also great with naan!
Slow Cooker Thai Basil Chicken Curry
Moist and tender chicken braised in tasty curry coconut gravy in a slow cooker.
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken (breasts of thighs)
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or rice vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon coconut/palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (or bird eye chili)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup basil, chopped
- Place the chicken, coconut milk, curry powder, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and ginger into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 3 hours, before shredding the chicken and mixing in the cilantro and basil.
20 Minute Thai Basil Beef
Panang Kung (Panang Prawn Curry)
Thai Fish Green Curry with Asparagus and Peas
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)
Thai Peanut Chicken Saute
Thai Lemongrass Chicken and Avocado Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
Thai Peanut Chicken Buddha Bowls
Penang Gai (Chicken Penang Curry)