One of my favourite things to order at Thai restaurants is soups as they are always so vibrant, fresh and tasty! As it turns out they are also really easy to make at home with just a few exotic ingredients that you should be able to easily find at a local Asian grocery store. This chicken soup balances spicy, sour, salty and sweet elements with a focus on the spicy and sour provided by the chilies and lime juice. Of course this soup is finished off with plenty of fresh herbs including kaffir lime leaves and cilantro. Whether you are looking for a warming soup for cooler days of a light soup for warmer days, this soup fits the bill nicely!
For those that like it spicier, the addition of chili oil or nam prik pao is really nice. If you want to make the soup a more substantial, a little bit more like chicken noodle soup, you can add rice noodles and extra vegetables like carrots, celery or mushrooms.
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)
A Thai style hot and sour chicken soup filled with plenty of fresh herbs.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced thinly
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thinly
- 2 birds eye chilis, thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece galangal or ginger, sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm or brown sugar
- chili oil to taste
- cilantro to taste
- Bring the chicken broth, water, shallots, lemongrass, lime leaves, chilis, galangal and chicken to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the broth, shred it and return it to the broth.
- Season the broth with the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar, taste testing for a balance of sour, salty, sweet and spicy.
- Serve garnished with cilantro to taste.
Tom Yum Goong Soup (Thai Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup)
Traditional Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Tom Yum Baked Fish
Chicken Noodle Soup
Thai Peanut Chicken Noodle Soup
Quick and Easy Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Slow Cooker Thai Basil Chicken Curry
Chicken Pot Pie Soup