I always enjoy a nice chicken soup and these days I have been into this chicken pot pie soup! This soup is inspired by chicken pot pie which is basically a creamy chicken stew in a pie with a golden brown crispy and flaky pastry crust. This is a pretty hearty soup with plenty of veggies including onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, corn and peas in addition to the chicken. The broth of this soup is made chicken broth along with cream to make it creamy and butter and flour is used as the thickener. The seasoning includes a mixture of sage, rosemary, thyme and garlic in addition to salt and pepper. I really enjoy this soup just like this but it’s missing that pie crust element and to keep things simple I like to serve it topped with fresh made biscuits! Over all this is a pretty simple soup that’s easy to make, super tasty and pure comfort in a bowl!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
A comforting soup with all of the flavours of chicken pot pie!
- 4 tablespoons butter (or bacon grease)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sage, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried sage)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 4 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded/diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add the broth, chicken and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the corn, peas and cream and cook until the corn and peas are warmed, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, garnished with fresh chopped parsley and biscuits!
Option: Add sliced or chopped mushrooms along with the onions, carrots and celery.
Option: Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese to the soup, let it mlt in and remove from heat.
Option: Add 2 tablespoons white miso paste. (Mix miso paste into 1/2 cup hot broth from the pot before mixing it back into the soup after removing soup from heat.)
Option: Another gluten-free option is to mix 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch into 1/4 cup cool water and mix it into the soup near the end of the simmering; let it simmer until it thickens after adding it!
Option: Serve with fresh made biscuits!
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Noodle Soup
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Butter Chicken Noodle Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Egg Drop Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup