Biscuits and gravy is a classic dish and a recipe that I have just been itching to share! I was all set to make it and I had an idea, what about a cajun style version with a shrimp and andouille gravy?
Essential to any good biscuits and gravy is the biscuits, which should be nice and light and fluffy, moist and tender! These biscuits are so easy to make! You simply pulse the butter and flour in a food processor, mix in the buttermilk and cheese and bake in the oven until the are nice and golden brown! I am so into the addition of cheddar to biscuits like this, especially straight from the oven while the cheese is still melted, ooey and gooey!
The gravy starts out with bacon which is cooked and set aside before using the bacon drippings to cook the sausage and shrimp in. Butter is then added to cook the veggies followed by a bit of flour to make sure that the gravy is nice and thick. The gravy is filled out with broth and cream and seasoned with cajun seasoning, bay seasoning, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. What a tasty gravy; and it’s so good smothering freshly baked cheddar biscuits! These cheddar biscuits and shrimp and andouille gravy are a fabulous take on the classic biscuits and gravy!
Cheddar Biscuits and Shrimp and Andouille Gravy
Biscuits and gravy Cajun style with a tasty shrimp and andouille sausage gravy!
- 4 strips bacon
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage (or kielbasa), diced
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and diviened
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (rice-flour for gluten-free)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cajun mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 4 biscuits (see below), cut in half
- Cook the bacon in a large pan and set aside.
- Adding the sausage and cook until lightly golden brown and slightly crispy and setting aside.
- Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 1-2 minutes per side before setting aside.
- Add the onion, pepper and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes, before adding the corn and cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, thyme and flour and cook until the flour starts to brown a bit, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping the brown bits up off of the bottom of the pan with a spoon as the broth simmers.
- Add the cream, sausage, cajun seasoning, bay seasoning, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens to a gravy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix in the bacon, shrimp, green onions and parsley and serve on top of the freshly baked biscuits.
Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
Light and flakey buttermilk biscuits with plenty of melted cheddar cheese!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, lightly beaten
- Process the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and bitter in a food processor until it forms sand like grains.
- Gently mix in the buttermilk and cheddar until it forms a dough.
- Form the dough into the desired shape, place on a baking sheet, and brush with the egg mixture before baking in a preheated 425F oven until lightly golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.