Next up on my menu for the football party this weekend for the Big Game is a tasty cajun shrimp and andouille cheese dip, which also perfect for the upcoming Mardi Gras celebrations! This dip is inspired by some of my favourite cajun ingredients and flavours! The main ingredients are shrimp tossed in cajun seasoning along with andouille sausage, and I could not resist adding bacon! Next up was the standard trinity of onion, celery and peppers that is staple in cajun dishes like jambalaya, gumbo, and etouffee, followed by garlic and then the base of the dip, plenty of cheese! All of the meat and veggies are precooked in a pan before the cheese is added and then the dip is finished off by baking it in the oven just until the cheese melts and gets all nice and ooey gooey and good! Serve this cajun shrimp and andouille cheese dip with crackers, bread, toast, crostini, etc for dipping and enjoy!
Note: You are only barely cooking the shrimp in the pan and not fully as it will finish cooking when the dip is baked and you want to avoid double cooking it.
Cajun Shrimp and Andouille Cheese Dip
A hot melted cheese dip just packed with shrimp and andouille sausage and cajun style flavours!
- 4 strips bacon
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage (or kielbasa), diced
- 1/2 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 pound shrimp, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Cook the bacon in an oven safe pan, about 5-7 minutes, and set aside on paper towels to cool before crumbling, reserving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat, about 5-7 minutes, before setting aside.
- Toss the shrimp in the cajun seasoning, add to the pan and cook until just starting to turn pink, about 2-3 minutes, before setting aside.
- Add the onion, celery and pepper to the pan and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cajun seasoning and cook until fragrant, about a minute, before removing from heat.
- Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, parsley, bacon, sausage, shrimp, cream cheese, mayonnaise and mozzarella before transferring to the preheated 350F/180C oven to bake until the cheese has melted and the side are bubbling, about 15 minutes.
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Dip
Cheddar Biscuits and Shrimp and Andouille Gravy
Cajun Sweet Potato Seafood Chowder
Shrimp Creole Soup with Bacon and Cheddar Dumplings
Shrimp and Andouille Grits
Blackened Shrimp on Kale and Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Andouille Cream
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Chicken Parmesan Dip
Chicken Enchilada Dip
Meatball Parmesan Dip
Shrimp Scampi Dip
Bacon Double Cheese Burger Dip
Hot Cheesy Crab, Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Hot Sweet Onion Dip
Hot Cheesy Corn Dip
French Onion Soup Dip
Hot Cheesy Roasted Brussels Sprout Dip
Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip
BBQ Chicken Dip
Don't see any shrimp in your picture except for the 3 on top.
Cary Hill says
Kevin, can't wait to try this. I'm confused about the shrimp. In the ingredients you say to use cooked shrimp and in the directions you say to cook until pink. You need to separate what shrimp is part of the ingredients and what shrimp will be garnish. Thanks
Are all but the 3 shrimp for garnish chopped before adding to the mixture?
LOL! That should have been diced shrimp rather than cooked. I also garnished with three whole ones. Enjoy!
Thanks for the clarification. Thought that I was having an "old timers moment". LOL
This was delicious and so easy to make. Followed the recipe exactly and served with tortilla chips. Yummy! A definite keeper.