One of my favourite snacks for watching the big football game, or any occasion really, is a hot melted cheese dip and things get even better when you add the flavours of BBQ chicken! The base of this dip is a combination of cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, and cheese and it’s baked until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling! For this cheese dip I add the flavours of BBQ chicken pizza in the form of cooked chicken, peppers, onions and plenty of BBQ sauce! I like to add pickled hot peppers and use a jalapeno cheddar (and/or jalapeno monterey jack) cheese for some extra spicy heat! Instead of just mixing all of the BBQ sauce into the dip, I like to spread half of it on top of the dip mixture and top it with melted cheese for a nice solid layer of BBQ sauce to dip into! Yum!
BBQ Chicken Dip
A warm melted cheese dip with plenty of BBQ sauce, chicken and hot peppers!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded or diced
- 1/3 cup sliced pickled hot peppers*, drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese*, shredded
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the onion, bell pepper, chicken, pickled hot peppers, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, 1/2 of the BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Spread the mixture over the bottom of a baking dish, spread the remaining BBQ sauce over the top and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling, about 20-30 minutes, before removing from the oven and enjoying while warm!
Option: Use sliced pickled hot peppers of choice, such as banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, etc.
Option: Replace some or all of the sour cream with more mayonnaise.
Option: Replace some or all of the mayonnaise with more sour cream.
Option: Mix all of the BBQ sauce into the dip instead of using half to form a BBQ sauce layer.
Option: Use another melty cheese like monterey jack or mozzarella, etc. (I like jalapeno cheddar for this!)
Option: Add cooked and crumbled bacon!
Option: Garnish with chopped cilantro!
Tip: You can make the whole dip the day ahead, store in the fridge and then throw it into the oven to bake just before serving. You can also cook the onion and bell pepper a day or two ahead of time to make things easier to throw together.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Chicken Enchilada Dip
Roast Beef Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Meatball Parmesan Dip
Chicken Parmesan Dip
Stuffed Crust Pizza Dip
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Dip
Cajun Shrimp and Andouille Cheese Dip
Bacon Double Cheese Burger Dip
BBQ Chicken Pizza Baked Chicken
BBQ Chicken Pasta Salad
BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese
great dip haven’t made a bbq chicken appetizer before, so thank you!
Fantastic recipe! Very easy and the flavors really work. I used yuzu mayo and it added a nice citrus element.
Mine turned out great! Made it last night for my football gathering last night. it disappeared!
Florence Rebenchuk says
Love your recipes……easy to follow.