Last week when I made the lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash I tried to keep things nice and light and healthy but I could not help but think about doing something similar only a bit naughtier, a hot melted cheesy lasagna dip! I am a huge fan of dips, especially when they have plenty of hot melted cheese and since lasagna is one of my favourite meals I knew that a lasagna dip was sure to be amazing! The basic idea behind this dip was to use the layers of a lasagna in a dip including a base of cheese and a quick, easy and tasty tomato meat sauce all topped off with plenty of melted mozzarella! My mom always made lasagna with cottage cheese for the cheese layer so I am rather partial to that but ricotta or even cream cheese would also work well. For the tomato based meat sauce I kept things lighter and healthy going with turkey for the meat and I packed the sauce with plenty of flavour! I have to say that this dip is truly spectacular and it really does remind me of lasagna, though it is a lot easier to make and perfect for enjoying while watching the game!
You really cannot go wrong with a hot melted cheese dip with all of the flavours of lasagna!
All of the flavours of lasagna in a hot cheesy dip with no regrets!
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup lasagna tomato sauce (see below)
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese or ricotta or cream cheese
- 1 cup partially skim mozzarella, shredded
- Cook the turkey, add the tomato sauce and simmer until it thickens a bit, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the cottage cheese over the bottom of a baking dish, followed by the sauce and finally the mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the top is a light golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.
Option: Use ground beef or Italian sausage instead of ground turkey or omit the meat entirely.
Option: Use marinara sauce or your favourite tomato sauce instead of making the lasagna sauce from scratch.
A simple and tasty tomato sauce that is perfect for pasta, pizzas, lasagna, etc.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning or oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and fennel and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, italian seasoning, bay leaf, paprika, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer until until it thickens, about 5 minutes, and then mix in the basil and remove from heat.
Option: Add one 2 inch piece of parmesan rind to the sauce while it simmers.
Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Bacon Double Cheese Burger Dip
Chicken Enchilada Dip
Roast Beef Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Cheesy Margherita Pizza Hummus with Pesto Pita Chips
Stuffed Crust Pizza Dip
Meatball Parmesan Dip
Chicken Parmesan Dip
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Dip
Cajun Shrimp and Andouille Cheese Dip
Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
BBQ Chicken Dip