It suddenly got a bit colder out and I was immediatly thinking about a warm comforting soup. The first soup that I thought of was of course chicken noodle soup and then I remembered seeing this recipe for a Thai chicken noodle soup which sounded really good. I could just imagine all of the fresh and bright Thai flavours in a chicken noodle soup and I just had to make it. This soup starts out with your basics like the chicken broth, the chicken and the noodles, though this soup uses rice noodles, and from there it goes on to add some Thai flavours including lemongrass, lime, garlic, ginger, fish sauce and something special, a hit of coconut milk to make the broth nice and smooth. You could add any vegetables that you like and I went with carrots and bok choy and I finished it off with some sliced shiitake mushrooms. Despite the long list of ingredients this soup is nice and easy to make and yet it is so amazingly good! The soup was just bursting with flavour and a freshness that was very welcome on a cold winter day! One of my favourite things about Thai cuisine is the use of lots of fresh herbs and the fresh cilantro really brought this soup home. Another one of my favourite aspects of Thai cuisine is the spicy heat and the birds eye chilies certainly warmed this soup up nicely.
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1/2 pound rice noodles
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 pound chicken breast (cut into bit sized pieces)
- 1 carrot (sliced thinly on an angle)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (peeled and chopped)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (thinly sliced)
- 2 birds eye chilies (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 thumb sized piece galangal or ginger (grated)
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy (separated)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms (stemmed and sliced)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add the noodles, cover and let sit until cooked al dente, about 5-8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the chicken, carrots, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, chillies, garlic, galangal and simmer until cooked, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the bok choy, and shiitake mushrooms and simmer until the bok choy just wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and mix in the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and zest, and pepper.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
- Remove from heat and mix in the noodles, cilantro and green onions.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Salmon Noodle Soup
Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
Penang Curried Pumpkin and Prawn Soup
Pad Thai Soup
Thai Peanut Chicken Noodle Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Butter Chicken Noodle Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup