Soup is always welcome in my books and it’s especially nice when it’s cold out like it has been recently! Chicken noodle soup is a favourite and sometimes it’s nice to change things up a bit, like with this chicken and gnocchi soup that replaces the noodles with gnocchi, pillowy soft potato dumplings. This soup starts off with the classic veggies: onions, carrots and celery and they are cooked in a bit more oil and butter than normal so that we can also add some flour to to act as a thicker. Next up is the chicken, the broth and the gnocchi which is brought to a boil and done once the gnocchi starts to float. Everything is finished off with some cream and spinach along with parmesan cheese and miso paste for an extra kick of flavour! This creamy chicken and gnocchi soup is inspired by a similar Olive Garden soup and it’s perfect for cold winder days, well and day really!
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
A light and creamy chicken soup with pillowy soft gnocchi, potato dumplings, that is so easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 cup celery
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1 pound gnocchi (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup cream (or milk)
- 1 cup spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste* (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter along with the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions, carrots and celery, and cook until just tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and flour and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chicken and gnocchi, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the gnocchi floats, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, mix in the cream, spinach and parmesan and letting the spinach wilt and the cheese to melt into the soup.
- Mix the miso paste into 1/4 cup of the broth from the soup and then mix back into the soup before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Salmon Noodle Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Butter Chicken Noodle Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Egg Drop Soup