Corn and zucchini are two of my favourite summer foods! There is always an abundance of them to enjoy and they are great together in recipes like this corn and zucchini chowder! This is a pretty basic chowder recipe with corn and zucchini and it’s super easy to make! You start with butter to cook the trio of onions, celery and carrots in before adding garlic and thyme. The broth is either a chicken broth or vegetable broth along with cream! I like to add flavour by using parmesan and/or white miso paste and it’s all finished off with some bright and summery fresh basil! Some optional garnishes include crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, green onions, or bacon! This light, healthy and satisfying corn and zucchini chowder is the perfect summer meal!
Add toasted pine nuts!
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
A light, fresh and summery corn and zucchini chowder that is easy to make and packed with flavour!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 pound potato, cubed
- 1 pound zucchini, diced
- 2 cups corn (fresh, grilled, frozen or canned)
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- 1/4 cup basil, torn
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes before adding the zucchini and cooking until tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Add the corn.
- Optionally puree 1/4 of the chowder in a food processor and mix back in.
- Add the cream and parmesan and cook until the cheese melts into the chowder before seasoning with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Mix in the bail and enjoy, optionally garnished with green onions, feta and toasted pine nuts.
Option: Add or replace the potatoes with cauliflower!
Option: Add a dollop of fresh basil pesto!
Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Corn and Zucchini Cheddar and Tomato Quiche
Corn and Zucchini Goat Cheese Quiche with Lemon and Basil
Corn and Zucchini Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Pesto Zucchini and Corn Quinoa Salad
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)