Soups and chowders are a great transition food between summer and fall! You can enjoy some of late summer produce in a bowl of warming and comforting goodness as the weather starts to cool down! This is a chowder with a thick and creamy broth, tender potatoes along with plenty of corn and some spicy jalapenos. This chowder is super easy to make and it takes almost no time at all. The creaminess comes from heavy cream added to the broth and it’s thickened with a simple butter and flour roux. The jalapenos add a spicy heat and the corn brings a balancing sweetness. I like to serve it with a garnish of cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese and a splash of lime juice!
Corn and Jalapeno Chowder
A creamy chowder with corn, jalapenos and potatoes!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups corn
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until the flour starts to turn a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and jalapeno and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, mix in the cilantro and enjoy!
Option: Use 4 ounces cream cheese instead of the heavy cream.
Option: Add 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded and meted into the chowder.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
Option: Garish with one or more of: bacon, cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese, chives, green onions, etc.
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Spicy Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Avocado Soup
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup