With the cooler weather rolling in I have been thinking about soups more and you really can’t go wrong with a tasty chowder like this chipotle chicken and corn bacon chowder! I enjoy using corn in chowders as it adds that amazing sweetness and you can use it year round with frozen or canned corn but it’s especially nice in the summer and the fall with fresh corn form the cob. I like to use a full chicken for the chicken meat in this chowder and I cook it in the broth along with the cobs after removing the corn from them and this adds a ton of chicken and corn flavour to the broth! I’m always in for a bit of heat and chipotles chilies complement the sweet con in this chowder nicely! Starting with bacon is a no brainer, where I add the cooked bacon to the soup at the end and I use the rendered bacon fat to cook the vegetables in to get maximum bacon flavour! The rest of the ingredients are pretty much what you would expect with the only exception being the use of the white miso paste to add the saltiness rather than just using plain salt as the miso adds that hit of umami! If it’s chilly out today (or even if it’s a hot summer day) you really can’t go wrong with a bowl of this comforting chipotle chicken and corn bacon chowder!
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder
A creamy, smoky and spicy chipotle chicken and corn chowder with plenty of bacon!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into one inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) (or flour)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or sliced
- 2 cups corn
- 1 large stewing potato (such as a red potato or white potato), cut into bite sized pieces
- 1+ chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Add the onion, celery and pepper and cook over medium-high heat until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, paprika and flour and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chicken, corn, potatoes and chipotle chilies, bring to a boil, reduce the what and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, cream, miso paste, bacon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Cook a full chicken in the broth along with the cobs of corn for even more chicken and corn flavour before shredding the meat to use in the soup!
Note: Use enough chipotle chilies in adobo sauce to get to the desired level of heat.
Option: Puree half of the corn into some of the broth.
Option: Serve with sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, etc.