Chicken cordon bleu is a dish where chicken is stuffed with ham and melted cheese, coated in breadcrumbs and fried or baked until golden brown and crispy and I was thinking that it’s flavours would make for one tasty soup! Given that there was going to be ham in the soup I couldn’t think of a good reason to not start things off with bacon which is cooked in the pan before setting it aside to use the leftover grease to cook the veggies. Speaking of veggies, I like to go with the classic chicken noodle soup veggie combo of onions, carrots, and celery followed by garlic! Next up if some flour to thicken the soup followed by chicken broth and the chicken and ham and plenty of swiss cheese. (I like to use rotisserie chicken to keep things nice and easy.) The broth is seasoned with dijon mustard, miso paste and a hit of lemon juice and fresh parsley to add some brightness. Ever since I first made this chicken cordon bleu soup it has been my favourite and I have been making it a lot these days!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
All of the amazing flavours of chicken cordon bleu in a downright comforting bowl of chicken soup!
- 4 strip bacon, cut into 1inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 2 cup ham, diced
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon white miso paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan and set aside reserving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook over medium-high heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, cream, chicken, ham, and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are render, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese, mustard and miso and cook until the cheese has melted, before mixing in the lemon juice and parsley and serving!
Option: Fry some ham until nice and golden brown and crispy to garnish the soup with.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Quinoa Casserole
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder
Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
Jalapeno Popper Bacon and Bean Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Dill Pickle Soup