When I’m craving a comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup but I want something a little more substantial I reach for this chicken tortellini soup recipe! This is really just a basic chicken noodle soup recipe with the noodles replaced with cheese tortellini so it’s super easy to make! For the batch that I photographed for this post I used a homemade chicken stock made with the leftover bones from a few rotisserie chickens and it’s just packed with flavour! I like to use the meat from rotisserie chicken as the meat in the soup, which keeps it simple, but you could also throw some raw chicken into the soup to cook in the same pot before removing it to shred or dice and placing it back in. My favourite way to finish this soup off is with a hit of fresh lemon juice and parsley which really brighten the soup up!
Chicken Tortellini Soup
A quick and easy home made chicken tortellini soup that both light and bright, and filling and hearty!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (gluten free for gluten free)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth or stock, chicken and poultry seasoning, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in the parsley.
Option: Replace the oil with bacon grease.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso in the final step.
Option: Mix in 1/4 cup finely grated parmigiano regginao (parmesan) in the last step.
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement step 1, place everything except the tortellini, miso, parmesan and parsley in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the tortellini, cooking on high until tender, about 10 minutes, and mixing in the miso, parmesan and parsley.
Option: Another option is to use whole chicken breasts or thighs, placing them in the slow cooker with everything and pulling them out, shredding and returning to the soup when it is done cooking.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Avgolemono Soup (aka Greek Lemon Chicken Soup)
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
Corn and Zucchini Chowder