With the cooling fall weather I have been thinking about soups a lot more and I started this years soup season off with this comforting creamy parmesan tomato and spinach cheese tortellini soup. This tasty soup is super easy to make and it only takes about 30 minutes so it is perfect for busy weeknight meals! You basically just need to cook the onions and garlic, add the broth, tomatoes and tortellini and simmer until the tortellini is cooked before adding the spinach and parmesan cheese. (I like to add some fresh basil at the end but this is completely optional.) With the cheese tortellini this soup is hearty enough to eat as a meal and it is perfect for those chilly nights when you just want something quick, easy, tasty and comforting!
A tasty bowl of pure comfort food!
A nice alternative to the fresh chopped basil is basil pesto, whether homemade or store bought and store bought is a nice pantry friendly way to go when fresh basil is not available.
Creamy Parmesan Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup
A creamy tomato soup with cheese tortellini, spinach and plenty of parmesan cheese that is pure comfort food on a chilly day!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 10 ounces spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream or Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped (optional)
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan, let it melt, add the spinach, let it wilt, add the cream, season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat before adding the basil.
Option: Add 2 cups of cooked and shredded chicken or 8 ounces of cooked Italian sausage to make it even heartier.
Option: Replace the fresh basil with 2 tablespoons basil pesto.
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Chicken Parmesan Soup
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup