It’s time for a new soup recipe and it a tasty one, a tortellini soup with Italian sausage and spinach! This soup starts out with Italian style sausage, which are just packed with flavour, along with onions, garlic and a pinch of chili pepper flakes. Chicken broth and diced tomatoes fill out the body of the soup and the cheese tortellini brings everything home. I like to melt plenty of parmesan cheese into the broth which brings even more flavour. You really can’t go wrong with the addition of some healthy fresh baby spinach leaves which wilt into the soup nicely. This tortellini soup with Italian sausage and spinach is just perfect for these cool autumn days!
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
A hearty and tasty Italian sausage and tortellini soup with spinach, the perfect meal for a cool fall day!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pound cheese tortellini (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 10 ounces spinach, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the sausage and onions and cook, breaking the sausage up with a spoon until the sausage is cooked through, about 6-10 minutes, before adding the garlic and red pepper flakes and cooking until fragrant about a minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is cooked, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and spinach and cook until the cheese has melted into the broth and the spinach has wilted, about a minute, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, mixing in the basil and removing from the heat.
Option: Replace the oregano with Italian seasoning.
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Chicken Parmesan Soup
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Creamy Parmesan Sundried Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Cauliflower Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Spinach, White Bean and Turkey Sausage Soup
Cheesy Beef Enchilada Tortellini Skillet
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Leave a Reply