Although spring is officially here, it is still well below freezing and snowing out so I am in the mood for soup! This spinach, white bean and turkey sausage soup has to be one of my favourites and it is perfect for this time of year when it is still pretty cold out but I am already thinking about lighter spring fare. One of the things that I like most about this soup is how quick and easy it is to make and despite that it is so tasty and packed full of flavour! The turkey sausage and beans keep this soup light and healthy and I always like to include some greens like spinach, kale or swiss chard. If you have a parmesan rind lying around, toss it into the soup while it simmers to add an extra layer of flavour and hitting the soup with a shot lemon juice just before serving adds a beautiful brightness.
Feel free to bulk this soup up, and makie it even healthier, by adding more vegetables like zucchini!
Serve the soup with garlic rubbed crostini or garlic bread to make sure that none of that tasty broth escapes you!
Spinach, White Bean and Turkey Sausage Soup
A quick and easy soup with Italian turkey sausage, white beans and spinach, that’s full of flavour, nice and healthy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or chicken stock)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bunch spinach (or kale or swiss chard), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the sausage and cook, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Add garlic and red chili pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, beans, and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, before turning off the heat
- Add the spinach and parmesan, and let the spinach wilt and the cheese melt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt, pepper to taste.
Pasta e Fagioli Soup (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)
Ham and Bean Soup
Lentil Stew with Italian Sausage and Kale
Tuna, White Bean and Kale Soup
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
Venezuelan Black Bean and Chorizo Soup
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Kielbasa Sauerkraut Soup
Jalapeno Popper Bacon and Bean Soup
Bacon and Bean Soup