With the chilly weather soups have been dancing through my head and my new favourite is this italian sausage stuffed pepper soup! This soup is based on the flavours of stuffed peppers, which are usually peppers stuffed with good stuff like meat and rice in a tasty tomato sauce. Often ground beef is used but I like to use Italian sausage to add extra flavour and a bit of heat! The next ingredients are all pretty much as expected with the onions, plenty of peppers, garlic, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. I like to cook the rice separately and add it to the soup to save time but you can also cook the rice in the soup so that it soaks up the soups flavour! This italian sausage stuffed pepper soup is so easy to make and it’s pure comfort food that is perfect for a cold winter day so grab a bowl, sit down and warm up after a cold day!
Add the rice.
Mix it in.
Enjoy a nice big bowl!
We’ve been good about keeping this soup nice and healthy so far so why not top it with some cheese and melt it!
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
All of the flavours of stuffed peppers in the form of a (much easier to make) hearty, and tasty soup with Italian sausage for even more flavour!
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white or brown rice
- 2 cups water or beef broth
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings remove
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Bring the rice ad water to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes, before removing from the heat and letting sit, covered.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large pan over medium-high heat and set aside, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the oil and onions to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, while stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, basil, oregano, sausage, onions and peppers, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat, mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: (Highly recommended) Add 1/2 cup grated parmesan to the soup and let it melt in! Yum!
Option: Replace the rice with quinoa or a blend of whole grains!
Option: Instead of cooking the rice separately, add it and 2 cups up extra broth to the soup at step 6 and simmer unto the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
Option: Replace the sausage with ground beef or ground turkey, etc.