- 3 pounds beef bones
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- * water
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 6 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the bones and vegetables in a preheated 450F/230C oven for 45 minutes.
- Transfer everything to a large stock pot and fill it with water.
- Add the wine, herbs, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 4-6 hours.
- Let it cool.
- Stain out the bits.
- Refrigerate it and skim of the fat.