Stuffed cabbage rolls are a tasty meal that’s always enjoyed and the flavours translate really well into soup form! It can take a bit of time to stuff a bunch of cabbage rolls where as this soup takes almost no time or effort! It starts out with ground beef to which onions and carrots are added before adding beef broth, diced tomatoes and tomato paste which creates the amazing beef and tomato flavours of cabbage rolls. Plenty of chopped cabbage is the star, along with rice and some seasoning including paprika, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and fish sauce before simmering until the rice is tender. This cabbage roll soup is so easy to make, super tasty and simply a divine bowl of comfort food!
Cabbage Roll Soup
All of the flavours of beef stuffed cabbage rolls in a quick and easy soup!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup long grained rice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the beef, onions and carrots in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, before draining any excess grease.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, cabbage, rice, paprika, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and fish sauce before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and removing the bay leaves.
Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes along with the garlic!
Option: Garnish with chopped parsley!
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
Beefy Tortellini Tomato Soup
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Beef and Barley Soup
Pasta e Fagioli Soup (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)
Sauerkraut Cabbage Roll Soup
Irish Beef Stew
Dill Pickle Soup
Philly Cheesesteak Soup