I have totally been into soups lately making one or two soups per week and this only seems appropriate with the chilly weather that we have been having! With the release of my new eCookbook, Tasty Soups , I could not resist
teasing you with sharing one of the new soups with you! This pasta e fagioli (aka pasta fazool) is an Italian pasta and bean soup that is so full of flavour and hearty enough to get you through even the coldest days. There are many different versions of this soup and although many are meatless I like to bulk mine out a little and add flavour with the addition of Italian sausage. When I make a soup I am always looking for ways to add more flavour and one good trick that I learned a while ago is that adding parmesan (aka parmigiano reggiano) rinds to a soup like this or even when making chicken stock adds umami flavour! This soup is pretty straight forward to make but it does take some so it can be a good idea to double the recipe to ensure leftover for quick lunches during the week and besides this is one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day!
Update 2023/04/13: I was making this tasty soup again and I thought that I would take the opportunity to update the photos, including a step by step animation!
Pasta e Fagioli Soup
A tasty Italian style bean and pasta soup with sausage and plenty of vegetables!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (or ground beef)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth (or beef broth, or ham broth)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- 1 cup ditalini pasta (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook the sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, breaking it apart as it cooks, and set aside.
- Add the oil, onion, carrot, and celery to the pan and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, and tomato paste, mix, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, sausage, tomatoes, beans, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and pasta, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the pasta is cooked al-dente tender, about 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, mix in the parmesan and let it melt.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: Use pecorino romano cheese instead of parmesan.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce or fish sauce.
Option: Add cream for a creamy version!
Option: Add more veggies such as spinach, green beans, etc.!
Spinach, White Bean and Turkey Sausage Soup
Beer Mac n Cheese Soup
Maple, Bourbon Ham and Baked Bean Soup
Bean and Ham Soup
Split Pea Soup
Venezuelan Black Bean and Chorizo Soup
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Jalapeno Popper Bacon and Bean Soup
Bacon and Bean Soup