Cabbage is a vegetable that’s available year round and it’s so easy to fry it up for a side for any meal! It’s really as easy as frying up cabbage and there are plenty of ways to make it more interesting! I like to start out by cooking some bacon, both to have the bacon in the fried cabbage and to use the bacon grease to fry the cabbage in, adding a ton of flavour! I also like to add a diced/sliced onion and if I have a red bell pepper on hand it makes an excellent addition. I like to finish fried cabbage off with a splash of vinegar or even some hot sauce! Fried cabbage is a super quick and easy side for any meal, especially for a corned beef dinner for St Patrick’s Day!
Cabbage fried with bacon makes for an easy and tasty side dish.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 onion, diced (or sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large pan over medium-high heat, about 3-5 minutes, and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and saute in the bacon grease until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the bacon and cabbage saute until the cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and season salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Add 2 chopped cloves garlic.
Option: Replace the cider vinegar with malt vinegar!
Option: Add a teaspoon sugar.
Option: Finish the fried cabbage off with a generous splash of hot sauce!
ah, with bacon, good thinking, cabbage and bacon works well for me, thank you!
Try it with worcestershire sauce instead of the vinegar I love it 🙂
That sounds good!