Saint Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and with the chilly weather I figured it was the perfect time to make a nice big pot of corned beef and cabbage soup! This is a super simple soup that relies on the flavour of the corned beef which is slowly braised until it’s melt in your mouth tender and oh so good! After the beef I load this soup up with veggies including the standard onions, carrots and celery in addition to plenty of cabbage, which goes so well with the corned beef. I like to fill out this stew with potatoes or cauliflower, celeriac or even barley making for one hearty comforting meal! This Saint Patrick’s Day curl up with a bowl of corned beef and cabbage soup!
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
A simple and tasty corned beef and cabbage soup!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (or beef broth or ham broth)
- 1 pound raw corned beef in pickling juices, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, corned beef, potatoes and cabbage, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the beef is tender, about 1-2 hours.
Option: Replace the potatoes with celeriac or cauliflower.
Option: Add 1/2 cup barley!
Option: Add a splash of fish sauce!
Steak and Guinness Stew with Irish White Cheddar Cauliflower Mash
Beef and Barley Soup
Jamaican Style Jerk Beef Stew
Guinness Glazed Slow Cooker Corned Beef
Apricot Glazed Corned Beef with Colcannon and Sauteed Cabbage
Corned Beef Hash
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Kielbasa Sauerkraut Soup
Corned Beef and Cabbage Pizza