It’s time for another soup recipe and this kielbasa sauerkraut soup sure is one tasty bowl of comfort food! Sauerkraut and sausage is a fabulous flavour combination and it’s absolutely amazing in soup form! This soup starts off with bacon which is cooked and set aside before cooking the kielbasa sausage in the bacon grease followed by the base of veggies including onions, carrots and celery. Next up is the sauerkraut along with some potatoes, beans and quinoa which make this a super hearty and healthy meal in addition to being packed with flavour! I like to serve this kielbasa and sauerkraut soup topped with sour cream and grainy mustard with a side of buttered rye bread!
Omit the kielbasa and bacon for a tasty vegetarian soup!
Kielbasa Sauerkraut Soup
A simple and tasty sauerkraut soup with bacon, beans kielbasa and quinoa!
- 4 ounces bacon, diced (optional)
- 1 pound kielbasa/polish, sliced (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 2 potatoes (or celeriac root), diced
- 1/2 cup quinoa (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pot over medium- high heat until crispy and set aside before adding the sausage and cooking until lightly golden brown on both sides and setting aside.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pan and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes before adding the garlic and paprika and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add broth, sauerkraut, potatoes, quinoa, beans, bacon and sausage, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa and the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Serve topped with sour cream, grainy mustard and rye bread!