I am enjoying the cooler weather, especially being in the kitchen doing some long slow braised dishes like this pot roast beef stroganoff! In this dish the beef is slowly cooked until it’s so nice and tender that it literally melts in your mouth! In addition to making the beef meltingly delicious, this long cooking process also helps bring out a lot of amazing flavour! Speaking of flavour, the flavours of this dish are inspired by beef stroganoff, a dish consisting of beef, usually strips of steak cooked in a pan, along with a paprika, mushroom and sour cream sauce. This pot roast version starts out by browning some stewing beef (I like Ontario Corn Fed Beef), like chuck, brisket, etc., in a pan, making the sauce and then adding broth to simmer everything in. You can easily make this meal in one-pan and it’s great simmer on the stove top, in the oven or even in the slow cooker! You can serve the pot roast beef stroganoff over egg noodles, rice or just eat a nice large bowl of it all by itself!
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
A homestyle comfort food pot roast take on beef stroganoff using slowly braised, fall apart tender, beef which is smothered in a super tasty, umami packed mushroom, onion, paprika and sour cream sauce!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Ontario Corn Fed stewing beef such as chuck, round, brisket, cut into 2 inch pieces
- salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- 1 onion, diced or sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry thyme)
- 2 teaspoons paprika*
- 2 tablespoons flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill (optional)*
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the beef (seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika) and cook until lightly browned, about 7-10 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids, the liquids have cooked off and the mushroom start to caramelize and turn light golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and paprika, sprinkle on the flour and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan into the sauce with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beef, mustard, worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, and dill and either bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is fall apart in your mouth tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Remove from heat, mix in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
Option: Start by cooking 4 strips bacon cut into 1 inch pieces and use the bacon grease to cook the steak and veggies in instead of oil and butter adding the bacon back into the sauce near the end!
Option: I like smoked hot paprika for this but your favourite type of paprika will work!
Option: I like dried dill in this but it is a none standard ingredient so feel free to omit it.
Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes with the garlic for a bit of heat.
Option: Add small onions in addition to the diced onion for even more onion flavour!
Option: Instead of the fish sauce use 1-2 tablespoons white miso paste.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste to the sauce.
Option: Add 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) for an even more flavourful sauce!
Slow Cooker Balsamic Glazed Roast Beef
Mushroom and Peppercorn Crusted Steak in a Creamy Brie Mushroom Sauce
Pork Chops in a Mushroom Paprika Sauce
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Steak Tenderloin in a Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Pan Seared Chicken Breasts in a Mushroom, Tarragon and Mustard Pan Sauce
Beef and Barley Soup
Jamaican Style Jerk Beef Stew
Steak and Guinness Stew with Irish White Cheddar Cauliflower Mash
Italian Style Beef Stew with Butternut Squash
Japanese Style Beef Stew (Nikujaga)
Irish Lamb Stew
Tender Eye of Round Roast Beef
Chickpea and Red Pepper Paprika
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Slow Braised Beef Stroganoff Soup
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
Pan Seared Steaks with Sauteed Mushrooms and Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Butter
Pan Seared Steaks with Balsamic Red Onions and Roasted Garlic and Porcini Mushroom Goat Cheese Butter
Beef Massaman Curry
Cocoa Crusted Steak with Shishito Peppers
Pan Seared Steak in Creamy Peppercorn Sauce
Irish Beef Stew
French Style Braised Short Ribs
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Pan Seared Steak in Blue Cheese Sauce