This Wednesday, January the 18th, is Global Pulse Day and I have been thinking about pulses! ( Pulses are the edible seeds of plants in the legume family including chickpeas!) The other day I was enjoying a roasted red pepper sauce with paprika (aka romesco sauce) and naturally the two ideas combined and then I was thinking that a chickpea stew in a roasted red pepper and paprika sauce would be the perfect way to enjoy them both! Naturally the first thing that came to mind when thinking about a sauce with paprika in it was beef stroganoff and so I was on my to a tasty sauce with the addition of sour cream. I filled the stew out with fresh red bell peppers and I seasoned it with garlic and some turmeric before adding a bit of tahini to make it even creamier! I added some umami flavour with the addition of fish sauce and white miso paste and these are both completely optional if you don;t have access to them. The resulting chickpea and red pepper paprika was super tasty, light and healthy and I served it over a bed of quinoa making for a super nutritious and satisfying meal! What a great way to celebrate Global Pulse Day!
Add chicken and serve over buttered egg noodles! Yum!
Chickpea and red pepper chicken paprika!
Chickpea and Red Pepper Paprika
A quick and easy chickpea stew with red peppers in a creamy paprika sauce!
- 2 tablespoons butter (or oil)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons paprika (I like hot smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (optional)
- 3 cups chickpeas (1 cup dried cooks to 3 cups or one 28 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (or soy sauce, or tamari or optional)
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook for a minute.
- Add the garlic, paprika and turmeric and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan but scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Puree the roasted red peppers, tomatoes and tahini in a food processor and add to the pan.
- Add the chickpeas, bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes before mixing in the fish sauce, miso, lemon juice and sour cream and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Add 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms along with the onions and 1 teaspoon chopped thyme with the garlic.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon grated ginger along with the garlic.
Chickpea Curry (Chana Masala)
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese
Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Alfredo Pasta
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Curried Red Lentil Soup with Chickpeas and Quinoa