I have really been enjoying this light, healthy and tasty chickpea, spinach and herb stew this spring! I came across the idea for a persian herb and chickpea stew by Half Baked Harvest on pinterest a while ago and it sounded like a fabulous combination of flavours with the lemon, turmeric, and cayenne along with all of the fresh herbs! This stew is so easy to make, taking less than 30 minutes in total, and you can easily cook some rice to serve with it while it cooks.
Spinach is amazing in this stew and kale works just as well!
Chickpea, Spinach and Herb Stew
A chickpea and spinach stew with turmeric, cayenne, lemon and plenty of fresh herbs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 (14.5 counce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chickpeas, and turmeric and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach, parsley, cilantro, dill, lemon juice and zest and cook until the spinach wilts, about a minute.
- Serve garnished with mint.
Option: Use your favourite combo of herbs.
Option: Serve with cooked rice.
Option: Serve garnished with plain yogurt.
Lemony Lentil Soup
Chickpea and Red Pepper Paprika
Chickpea Curry (Chana Masala)
Asparagus, Zucchini and Chickpea Green Curry
Moroccan Butternut Squash and Chickpea Tagine with Quinoa
Curried Red Lentil Soup with Chickpeas and Quinoa
Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
Moroccan Beef Tagine