A tagine is both the name of a baking/cooking vessel and of the dish that is made in it and I like Moroccan style tagines with their layers of flavours! Normally for a beef tagine I would use stewing beef cut into cubes and it would be slowly simmered/braised until the meat was melt in your mouth tender. This beef tagine is a quick and easy version that uses ground beef instead of cubed beef and it take a lot less time to make! This recipe has a few ingredients in it, but don’t let that turn you away from it, it’s super easy to make and all of those ingredients create magical flavours that are so worth it! The final dish is like a stew that can be served by itself or over rice, pasta or scooped up with flatbread, etc.
Moroccan Beef Tagine
A quick and easy Moroccan tagine style dish, a beef stew with an amazing array of flavours!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced/grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced/grated
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 dates, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 8 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup olives, sliced
- 1/4 of a preserved lemon, pith removed, and peel rinsed and chopped *
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/4 cup almonds (sliced or slivered), toasted
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped, optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped, optional)
- Cook the ground beef, onions and carrots in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, until the beef is cooked, before draining off and excess grease.
- Add the garlic, ginger, paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne, and tomato paste, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, dates, apricots, raisins, olives, preserved lemon, honey, harissa and saffron, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Server garnished with almonds, cilantro and parsley.
Note: You can purchase preserved lemons or make your own homemade preserved lemons or you can omit them and use 1 teaspoon lemon zest!
Apricot Lamb Tagine
Moroccan Lamb Tagine
Pomegranate and Date Lamb Tagine
Ossobuco Tagine (Moroccan Style Ossobuco)
Chicken Tagine with Olives and Preserved Lemons
Italian Style Beef Stew with Butternut Squash
Nikujaga (Japanese Beef Stew with Pumpkin)
Thai Peanut Pumpkin Turkey Curry
Jamaican Style Jerk Beef Stew
Moroccan Butternut Squash and Chickpea Tagine with Quinoa
Chickpea, Spinach and Herb Stew
Mexican Beef and Bean Skillet Rice
One-pan Cheesy Beefy Pasta
Jamaican Jerk Beef and Bean Chili