Beef and bean chili is one of my go-to meals when ground beef is on sale and this twist on it using Jamaican jerk seasoning flavours! This stew has the core chili components of beef, beans and tomatoes with the seasoning replaced with jerk flavors including scotch bonnet peppers, plenty of allspice, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, ginger and citrus. Instead of getting the heat from dried chili peppers, the scotch bonnet pepper provides the chili heat in this chili, and they provide plenty of heat! I like to fill this chili out with bell peppers and garnish is with fresh sliced pineapple along with crispy fried plantains! This Jamaican style beef and bean chili is super easy to make and just packed with amazing flavours!
Let the chili simmer, covered, for longer to help bring out even more flavour!
Top with melted cheese and/or sour cream!
Serve on coconut rice, rice cooked in coconut milk instead of water!
Jamaican Jerk Beef and Bean Chili
A quick and easy Jamaican jerk themed beef and bean chili!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1+ scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero pepper), finely diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 orange, juice and zest
- 1 lime, juice and zest (or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the beef and onion in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, breaking the beef apart with a spoon as it cooks, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the bell peppers and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and scotch bonnet pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, beans, diced tomatoes, orange juice and zest, lime juice and zest, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, thyme, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. (Note: You can simmer longer and the flavours will only get better!)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Option: Serve over coconut rice! (Rice cooked in coconut milk instead of water!)
Option: Serve garnished with one or more of: crispy fried plantains, shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced pineapple, sliced green onions, limes wedges.
great twist on the tradtional chili with jerk flavor, I love all chilis red/green. beef, pork, chicken and have made and had so many but not this, so thank you!
This was another delicious recipe. I loved the flavors of the orange and lime zest and juice. I also made this with eight boneless chicken thighs instead of beef. These creative recipes have been a bit hit during this time when we are mostly eating at home and want to spice things up. This recipe was spicy in all good ways!