Homemade chili is so easy to make and perfect for cold days, especially for staying in and watching the game with! This is a simple ground beef based chili that starts off with, you guessed it, bacon! Once the bacon is done the ground beef is cooked along with onions before adding the seasonings: garlic, chili powders, cumin, paprika, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce. The final ingredients are the beans and some diced tomatoes before simmering until ready. If you want to eat it soon you can simmer it for a few minutes but chili is one of those dishes that only tastes better the longer you cook it so simmer it for a few hours if you have the time! (The leftovers only get better the next day!) I like to top chili off with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onions along with an optional side of fresh homemade cornbread. This easy beef and bean chili is great for any occasions, including the upcoming football playoffs!
Easy Beef and Bean Chili
A super easy and tasty beef and bean chili!
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2 inch slices (optional)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red kidney beans (or black beans or pinto beans)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan and set aside, draining the drippings.
- Add the beef and onions to the pan and cook, breaking the beef apart with a spoon, until the beef is cooked through before draining any excess grease.
- Add the garlic, chili powders, cumin, and paprika and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the bacon, tomatoes, beans, oregano, worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes to 2 + hours, covered, before seasoning with salty and pepper to taste.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon cocoa powder!
Option: Add 2 tablespoons cornmeal to simmer and thicken the chili.
Option: Garnish with your favourite toppings such as sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, etc.