It is definitely the season for soups and stews and you really can’t go wrong with a tasty, warming bowl of chili! In it’s more typical form chili con carne is made with beef and plenty of red chili peppers but it is always fun to make a white chili where the meat is chicken and no red chili peppers are used. This is my go to quick, easy and tasty white chicken chili recipe and it has a base of chicken and white beans with jalapeno chili peppers for the heat along with a few seasoning like garlic, cumin and oregano. I like to kick the flavour up a bit by replacing some of the broth with a salsa verde and the addition of quinoa makes this soup a bit heartier. As a finishing touch I like to hit the soup with fresh lime juice along with some cilantro. One of the best things about this tasty white chicken chili is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make and if you know that you aren’t even going to have that much time for dinner then you can throw everything into the slow cooker in the morning and come home to a fully cooked meal!
Cool and creamy avocado make an excellent addition to this white chicken chili!
Serve with tortilla chips for scooping or for crumbling over top!
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
A healthy and hearty 30 minute white chicken chili with beans and quinoa!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (~1/2 lime)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and jalapeno peppers and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, salsa verde, chicken, beans, quinoa and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the quinoa is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred or dice, return to soup along with the lime juice and cilantro, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Option: Add 1 cup zucchini along with the chicken.
Option: Add 1 cup corn 5 minutes before taking off the heat.
Option: Replace the jalapeno peppers with poblano peppers or 1 4.5 ounce can of diced green chilies.
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Beef and Black Bean Chili
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
7 Chili Chili
Butternut Squash Chili Mole
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce
Chicken and Avocado Burritos
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Avocados
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili