The “>sloppy joe sandwich is a sandwich filled with a ground beef mixture in a tomato sauce seasoned with various things including Worcestershire sauce. They are easy to make, family friendly and quick enough to make even on a busy week night. I like to start out with bacon which is cooked before the beef and then added back into the sauce later! The main part of the sauce is ground beef along with onions, garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, cider and a hit of sriracha! This tasty sauce has it all from the salty bacon to the sweet sugar to the sour vinegar and the spicy heat of sriracha chili sauce, your taste buds with be dancing! I like to finish off sloppy joe sandwiches with things like cheese, and/or, pickled onions, mustard, pickles, etc.
The only real question about your sloppy joes is: Do you like them with beans in or without?
With beans or without?
Quick and easy sandwiches filled with a super tasty ground beef sauce! Sloppy, but oh so good!
- 6 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 buns (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- Cook the bacon in a large pan, set aside and drain off most of the grease.
- Add the beef and onions and cook until the beef is cooked though, breaking it up as it cooks with a spoon, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the garlic, paprika, and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mixture of the beef broth and cornstarch, followed by the bacon, ketchup, mustard, sugar, vinegar, sriracha, salt and pepper, bring to a boils and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches as desired and enjoy!
Option: Feel free to omit the sriracha or replace it with another chili sauce, or chili powder, or cayenne, or chopped chipotle chilies in adobo, or gochujang, etc., adding enough to get the heat to the desired level.
Option: Add a few drops of liquid smoke!
Option: Add your favourite sandwich fillings like cheese, pickles, mustard, onions, etc.!
Option: Add a can of drained and rinsed red kidney beans or black beans!