I always enjoy a nice homemade traditional style Philly cheesesteak sandwich made with shaved rib-eye beef, onion and cheese but every time I make them I can’t help but think that a quick and dirty ‘sloppy joe’ version would be easier and just as good! The rib eye is a little more expensive and shaving it takes a bit of effort but ground beef is relatively cheap and it’s almost always available! Sloppy Joes are sandwiches made with ground meat in a sauce served in a hamburger bun and this recipe starts off with the ground ground beef and onions along with the optional green peppers to which a ‘sloppy joe’ style sauce is added with beef Worcestershire broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and some steak seasoning. Of course they would not be cheese steaks without the cheese and you can use either of the authentic cheese’s: whiz or provolone.
What’s your favourite Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes? Wit whiz or whiz provolone?
I like both versions!
What if you don’t like cheese whiz? How about provolone?
Just look at how stingy that melted provolone is!
Top with the provolone, place it under the broiler to melt it and mix it in!
messy but so worth it!
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
All of the flavours of Philly cheesesteaks in a quick and easy sloppy joe form! Yum!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 table spoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning (or salt and pepper to taste)
- 1/2 cup cheese whiz or 4 ounce provolone cheese (deli slices or shredded)
- 4 buns
- Cook the beef, onions and peppers in a skillet over medium-high heat breaking the beef up as you cook it, optionally draining any excess grease.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the mixture of the corn starch and broth, followed by the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning and cook until the sauce thickens a bit, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the whiz and cook until it melt or place the provolone on top, place under the broiler until it has melted and mix it into the meat.
- Divide the filling between the buns and enjoy!
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Philly Cheesesteak French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Roast Beef Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Bulgogi Cheesesteak Sandwich
Grilled Roast Beef and Cheese Sandwich
Pot Roast Sandwich Smothered in Gravy with Melted Swiss Cheese and Horseradish Mayonnaise
BBQ Roast Beef and Cheddar Sandwich
Roast Beef Quesadillas
Chimichurri Steak Sandwiches with Roasted Corn and Red Pepper Salsa
Black and Blue Steak Sandwich
Roast Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Sauce
Roast Beef Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Grainy Mustard, Horseradish Mayo
Slow Cooker Roast Beef French Dip Sandwich
Pot Roast Grilled Cheese French Dip Sandwich with Spicy Miso Au Jus
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Texmex Sloppy Joes