National Grilled Cheese Month is going strong and I have another recipe to share with you, one that is a mouthful in more ways than one, these pot roast grilled cheese french dip sandwiches with spicy miso beef au jus! I came across the idea for these sandwiches on Lady and Pups and I just had to make them! I mean, you really can’t go wrong with tender, slow braised beef all wrapped up in a crispy and buttery grilled sandwich along with plenty of melted cheese and then to dip them into a spicy miso au jus just takes them over the top! Yes, these grilled cheese sandwiches take a bit of effort to make, but they are so worth it! The meat should be browned and then slowly braised until nice and tender but you can make it super easy and just toss everything into a slow cooker for the day and it’s done in time for dinner! The grilled cheese sandwiches themselves are pretty easy to make once the pot roast is done and then you can start dipping them into the spicy gochujang and miso broth! Yum!
Pot Roast Grilled Cheese French Dip Sandwich with Spicy Miso Au Jus
Tender, mouth watering pot roast beef in buttery-crisp grilled cheese sandwich just oozing with melted cheese served french dip style with a tasty miso and gochujang au jus for dipping!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound beef roast such as chuck, round or brisket, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cups beef broth (or dashi)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (korean chili paste)
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons mustard (or horseradish)
- 2 cups gouda cheese (or provolone, mozzarella, etc), shredded
For the pot roast:
For the grilled cheese:
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and brown on all sides, about 20 minutes and set aside.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes, before adding the garlic and ginger and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, curry powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, gochujang and miso bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is pull apart tender, about 3-4 hours. OR Transfer the pot to a preheated 275F/140C oven and braise until the meat is pull apart tender, about 3-4 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Remove the beef from the au jus and shred it, adding the sliced green onions and sesame oil to the juices.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese onto the unbuttered sides of half of the slices of bread followed by 1/4 of the roast beef and mustard, the remaining cheese and topping with the remaining slices of bread with the buttered side up, before grilling over medium heat until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.
For the pot roast:
For the grilled cheese:
Option: Thicken the au jus with cornstarch by mixing 1 tablespoon corn starch with 1 tablespoon water before mixing it into the au jus in a small sauce pan over and simmering until it thickens.
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Philly Cheesesteak French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Slow Cooker Balsamic Glazed Roast Beef
Slow Cooker Roast Beef French Dip Sandwich
Pot Roast Sandwich Smothered in Gravy with Melted Swiss Cheese and Horseradish Mayonnaise
Apple BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
Roast Beef Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Grainy Mustard, Horseradish Mayo
Roast Beef with Caramelized Onions on Gorgonzola Toast
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guinness Caramelized Onions
Kimchi Reuben Sandwich
Breakfast Reuben Sandwich
Pineapple Char Siu Pulled Pork Sliders
Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Sandwich
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
BBQ Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese
Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken
Crispy Beer Battered Fish Sandwich
Vietnamese BBQ Pulled Pork Banh Mi
Corned Beef Cuban Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Roast Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Onions, Peppers and Horseradish
Black and Blue Steak Sandwich
Roast Beef Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Korean Meatloaf Patty Melt
Salisbury Steak Grilled Cheese with Mushroom Gravy
Kimchi and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
White BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese