When I made the Guinness caramelized onions for the onion cheddar quiche I could not help but snack on a few of them before adding them to the quiche and I was immediately entranced by them! While I was slowly caramelizing the onions, images were flying through my head with all of the different ways that I could use them and I wanted to try them all! I was finding it difficult to decide exactly which dish to make when I had the idea of using them in a grilled cheese sandwich and I was sold! I was thinking that a corned beef grilled cheese sandwich would be perfect for St Patrick’s Day and stuffing it with drunken caramelized onions would be a treat indeed! Given the use of the corned beef in this sandwich I was reminded another favourite, the reuben sandwich , and because of that I decided to go with a dark rye for the bread. Since I was seasoning the Guinness caramelized onions with Worcestershire sauce and grainy mustard, cheddar cheese only seemed natural to finish the sandwich off. Don’t let the time required to caramelize the onions stop you from making one of these sandwiches as they are definitely worth the effort and otherwise really easy to make!
Fee free to really fill them up!
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guinness Caramelized Onions
Slow roasted tender corned beef served in a grilled cheese sandwich along with Guinness caramelized onions, grainy mustard and plenty of melted cheddar cheese.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices rye, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded, room temperature
- 2 ounces cooked corned beef, sliced or shredded, warm
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup Guinness , cover and simmer until the liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes and repeat three more times.
- Remove from heat and mix in the Worcestershire sauce and grainy mustard.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese on the inside of one slice of bread, top with half of the onions, the corned beef, the remaining onions, cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Add the sandwich to the pan and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Roast Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Guinness Braised Onion and Aged White Cheddar Quiche
Gyro Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka Gyro Melt)
Corned Beef Poutine with Guinness Gravy
Guinness ‘French’ Onion Soup
Corned Beef Cuban Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Bacon and Cheese Corned Beef Burgers with Guinness Caramelized Onions and a Fried Egg
Slow Cooker Roast Beef French Dip Sandwich
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Philly Cheesesteak French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pot Roast Grilled Cheese French Dip Sandwich with Spicy Miso Au Jus