While I still had some of the leftover roast beef the other week, I made sure to make a few roast beef grilled cheese sandwiches! This has to be one of my favourite ways to enjoy roast beef leftovers and it gave me the perfect opportunity to update this recipe and to add a new photo (see above). Although simply throwing the roast beef into a sandwich with some cheese and grilling it would be great, I like to add sauteed onions and peppers to bring in some new flavours and textures. There are a lot of cheeses that go really well in this sandwich such as swiss, provolone, mozzarella and this time I went with a sharp cheddar. Of course a touch of horse radish is always welcome and if you have any gravy left over from the roast beef dinner, adding a bit inside the sandwich is good and then serving the rest for dipping is even better! Leftover roast beef is such a magical thing!
Roast Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Onions, Peppers and Horseradish
Moist and tender roast beef with sauteed onions and peppers in a grilled cheese is a truly decadent way to enjoy your leftovers! A touch of horseradish gives this sandwich a bit of bite and if you have any gravy leftover feel free to use it for dipping!
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 onion (sliced)
- 1/4 bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese (provolone or mozzarella), shredded (or 2 slices), room temperature
- 2 ounces roast beef, warm
- 1/2 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon gravy, warm
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and bell pepper and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese on the inside of one slice of bread, top with the roast beef, onions and peppers, horseradish, and gravy, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Grill in a pan, preheated over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Roast Beef Quesadillas
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
Pot Roast Sandwich Smothered in Gravy with Melted Swiss Cheese and Horseradish Mayonnaise
BBQ Roast Beef and Cheddar Sandwich
Black and Blue Steak Sandwich
Roast Beef Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Grainy Mustard, Horseradish Mayo
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guinness Caramelized Onions
Gyro Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka Gyro Melt)
Slow Cooker Roast Beef French Dip Sandwich
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Philly Cheesesteak French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pot Roast Grilled Cheese French Dip Sandwich with Spicy Miso Au Jus
Roast Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Sauce
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes