Despite the fact that I had just used the salsa verde and leftover cooked shredded chicken to make a salsa verde lasagna I still had some of both left over. Last summer I found a great way to use up leftover chicken in the form of this salsa verde chicken sandwich and since I almost always have salsa verde on hand, whether freshly made or store bought, it is particularly convenient. This is a pretty simple sandwich with the salsa verde chicken, some avocado mayo, a slice of green tomato, some cilantro and some pepper jack cheese. During the summer I was using fresh sliced green tomatoes but now that they are no longer available I have been using the pickled green tomatoes that I made. Although you could just slap a slice of pepper jack cheese into this sandwich and go, I like to place the slice on top of the salsa verde chicken and throw it under the broiler for a few minutes to let it melt. One of my favorite parts of this sandwich is the cool and creamy avocado mayo which seems like a match made in heaven. I think that this sandwich would also work well with pulled pork or beef.
Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Sandwich
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (warmed)
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 4 buns (I like to use whole wheat)
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 1 avocado (stoned, scooped and mashed)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 slices green tomato or pickled green tomato
- * cilantro
- Mix the salsa verde and the pulled chicken.
- Place the chicken mixture on the bottom of the buns, top with the cheese and broil until the cheese has melted.
- Mix the avocado and mayo and spread it on the inside of the buns tops.
- Place a slice of tomato on top of the melted cheese followed by a handful of cilantro and finish with the top of the bun.
Salsa Verde Lasagna
Salsa Verde Turkey Burger
Salsa Verde Carnitas
Pineapple Dak Bulgogi Sandwich (Korean Spicy Pineapple BBQ Chicken Sandwich)
BBQ Chicken with Blue Cheese Slaw Wraps
Korean BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich with Slaw
BBQ Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese
Apple BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
Pineapple Char Siu Pulled Pork Sliders
Slow Cooker Roast Beef French Dip Sandwich
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Philly Cheesesteak French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pot Roast Grilled Cheese French Dip Sandwich with Spicy Miso Au Jus
White BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Skillet
BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese