Chicken enchiladas with salsa verde are one of my favourite foods and this is a quick and easy one-pan take on them. Normally the chicken, salsa verde and cheese would be wrapped up in tortillas, coved in more salsa verde and cheese and baked until the cheese melted. In this version the chicken and salsa verde are cooked in a skillet, the tortillas are sliced and mixed in before sprinkling on the cheese and broiling until the cheese has melted. I like to add zucchini and corn along with mixing sour cream into the salsa verde for a nice creaminess! This skillet chicken enchilada is so easy to make and super tasty, especially when topped with more sour cream, cilantro, green onions and fresh diced avocado!
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Skillet
A quick and easy deconstructed skillet version of salsa verde chicken enchiladas!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and sliced or shredded
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 6 ounces tortillas, sliced (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large oven safe skillet/pan over medium-high heat, add the onion and zucchini and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cumin and garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the salsa verde and mix in the sour cream followed by chicken, corn and tortillas.
- Bring to a simmer and turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and transfer to the oven to broil until the cheese has melted, about a minute.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Option: Replace the tortillas with tortellini or cooked pasta!
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Salsa Verde Baked Chicken
Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Sandwich
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Salsa Verde Turkey Burger
Skillet Chicken Verde
Creamy Salsa Verde Skillet Chicken
Cheesy Beef Burrito Skillet
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce